Thursday, July 1, 2010

Maldives cabinet resigns en masse to pursue diving careers

Less than a year after the famous underwater cabinet meeting, the cabinet of the Maldives has resigned en masse to pursue diving careers. In letters to the President Nasheed the cabinet members expressed dissatisfaction with their low income and the hard work they have to do. They further said the parliament was obstructing their work. The cabinet members said they needed a break and would pursue diving careers as the underwater beauty of the Maldives will have a soothing effect on their tired minds.

"I am a dentist by profession. Even though I was appointed the Fisheries Minister, my first real experience of the underwater life was when I started training for the cabinet dive. Since then I have been hooked to diving. I have already applied for a job at a Dive Center at a resort," said Ibrahim Didi, the former Minister for Fisheries. "I will now be able to see more fish than what I saw during the time I was the Fisheries Minister."

"I am tired of banning New Year parties and bringing Zakir Naik. I have applied for a job at a resort. I will be now diving everyday and in my spare time I will be riding banana boats. I have experience of riding banana boats from my regular visits to Sunland resorts. So I will not fall like Zakir Naik's wife," said Abdul Majeed Abdul Bari, who was the Minister of Islamic Affairs till he resigned.

President Nasheed's press secretary Mohamed Zuhair said the President would not have organised the underwater cabinet meeting last October had he predicted his cabinet would get so hooked with diving that they would resign from their posts.

"The President is still recovering from shock. When he regains his composure he will appoint new members to cabinet. This time the President will be appointing people who are afraid of the sea. Till then, the state ministers and deputy ministers will run the show," Zuhair said.

No comments: